Re: Windows locale cause server to send invalid data encoding to client

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: Windows locale cause server to send invalid data encoding to client
Дата
Список pgsql-bugs
Julien Rouhaud <rjuju123@gmail.com> writes:
> On Wed, Jul 14, 2021 at 10:19:59AM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
>> I wonder if we should decline
>> to translate any error messages until we've established the requested
>> client encoding.  Sending the message in English isn't ideal either,
>> but it'd avoid this hazard.

> I'm not sure which one is the worst.  One the bright side there aren't that
> many messages that can be sent until the client encoding can be set up for I'm
> +0.5 for this change.

Yeah, it's ugly either way.  I think though that the reason we don't hear
more complaints about this is that such messages are currently sent using
the language and encoding derived from the postmaster's environment.
In simple cases that'll be the same as the client's environment and
everything works.  So after thinking harder, I'm afraid that breaking that
scenario would make this idea a net loss.