Re: Replication Question

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: Replication Question
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
Murthy Nunna <mnunna@fnal.gov> writes:
> I have a question about replication... Can I replicate to a server running different version of Linux OS (e.g Primary
onRHEL 7 and stand-by on RHEL 6.1).

It's a little risky because of the possibility that the different OS
versions have different behavior for the "same" LC_COLLATE setting,
leading to different sort orders for text columns, which would make
indexes on text columns incorrect in the standby's worldview.

If you are only using "C" collation, or if you check that the collation(s)
you use behave the same on both platforms, it should be OK.

Also note that the hardware architecture had better be the same, eg
no 32-bit-to-64-bit cases.  But Postgres can detect that type of problem
for itself, generally speaking.  I emphasize collation hazards because
we lack any reliable detection for collation mismatch.