Re: Postgresql 8.0 or 8.1 vs. latest Red Hat RPM

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: Postgresql 8.0 or 8.1 vs. latest Red Hat RPM
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
Colin Freas <colinfreas@gmail.com> writes:
> One point of contention in this argument seems to be the notion that Red Hat
> ports security fixes to older versions, even if it has to do this itself. I
> don't necessarily believe that this happens.

Just for the record, Red Hat sees to it that this happens.  The main
reason that you are still seeing update releases out of community CVS
for PG 7.3 is that I am on the hook to maintain 7.3 for RHEL3, and it's
clear to all concerned that making those critical patches in community
CVS first is a low-cost, widely-useful way to get it done.

> Is there a general performance improvement from 7 to 8?  What about
> reliability improvements?

Yes, and yes.  The commitment for 7.3 is to fix critical problems,
not marginal bugs, and definitely not mere performance issues.