Re: Removal of currtid()/currtid2() and some table AM cleanup

От Inoue, Hiroshi
Тема Re: Removal of currtid()/currtid2() and some table AM cleanup
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers

On 2020/06/05 15:22, Michael Paquier wrote:
On Wed, Jun 03, 2020 at 10:10:21PM +0900, Inoue, Hiroshi wrote:
On 2020/06/03 11:14, Michael Paquier wrote:
I have been looking at the ODBC driver and the need for currtid() as
well as currtid2(), and as mentioned already in [1], matching with my
lookup of things, these are actually not needed by the driver as long
as we connect to a server newer than 8.2 able to support RETURNING.
Though currtid2() is necessary even for servers which support RETURNING,
I don't object to remove it.
In which cases is it getting used then?

Keyset-driven cursors always detect changes made by other applications
(and themselves).
currtid() is necessary to detect the changes.
CTIDs are changed by updates unfortunately.

regards,
Hiroshi Inoue

  From what I can see there is
zero coverage for that part in the tests.  And based on a rough read
of the code, this would get called with LATEST_TUPLE_LOAD being set,
where there is some kind of bulk deletion involved.  Couldn't that be
a problem?
--
Michael