Re: Postgresql 8.0 or 8.1 vs. latest Red Hat RPM

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: Postgresql 8.0 or 8.1 vs. latest Red Hat RPM
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
Devrim GUNDUZ <devrim@commandprompt.com> writes:
> On Tue, 2006-02-07 at 18:09 -0500, Colin Freas wrote:
>> My argument is we should use the latest stable version of Postgres.
>> His take is we ought to use the latest version provided by Red Hat.
>> (This is for a set of Red Hat Enterprise boxes.)

> AFAIK, if you want support from  Red Hat, you have to use the packages
> provided by Red Hat. If you use any 3rd party or unsupported packages,
> they won't support your system. So it depends on you.

As the main guy on the hook for that support from Red Hat ;-), the above
is true as far as it goes, but on the whole I'd have to say that you are
probably better off using the latest community release and relying on
the community mailing lists for support.  The RHEL releases are targeted
at people who froze their application platforms a year ago (for RHEL4)
or more than that (for RHEL3), so if you are just now choosing your
platform then neither scenario fits you --- so unless you want to wait
for RHEL5 you're sort of falling between the cracks.

Red Hat is not unaware of this gap, and is close on to introducing
support for PG 8.1 in RHEL4, but it'll be separate from the base RHEL4
product ... and it won't be out for a month or two.
http://www.redhat.com/magazine/015jan06/departments/red_hat_speaks/

Сообщение: Re: Postgresql 8.0 or 8.1 vs. latest Red Hat RPM
Сообщение: Re: Postgresql 8.0 or 8.1 vs. latest Red Hat RPM