Re: [GENERAL] Installin Postgres

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: [GENERAL] Installin Postgres
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
> Tom Lane writes:
>> What we are seeing is that on several platforms, the default locale
>> settings are just plain broken --- ie, setlocale() barfs on the locale
>> value that the system environment provides.  There was discussion before
>> about this, but IIRC we concluded that initdb could not easily detect
>> the problem.

> It could be detected if we rewrote parts of initdb in C.  I was sort of
> hoping that that would come out of the Windows port.

True, I would think it will *have to* come out of the Windows port.
(Bruce, what does the PeerDirect patch do about initdb?)

I still think that on balance it'd be best to default to C locale,
though.  We are certainly not going to be able to fix all the underlying
problems in time for 7.4.  Once non-C locales are not a significant hit
on performance or reliability, then it would be time to default to
environment locale.