Re: [GENERAL] Column rename in an extension update script

От Adrian Klaver
Тема Re: [GENERAL] Column rename in an extension update script
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On 04/30/2017 11:54 PM, Philippe BEAUDOIN wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I am coding an update script for an extension. And I am in trouble when
> trying to rename a column of an existing table.
>
> Just after the ALTER TABLE statement, I want to access this table. But
> at this time, the altered column is not visible with its new name.

 From the error it looks to me like the statements are each run in a
separate session and the UPDATE is not seeing the ALTER TABLE. A quick
search of the source indicates this is handled in extension.c:

https://git.postgresql.org/gitweb/?p=postgresql.git;a=blob;f=src/backend/commands/extension.c;h=33b0de0a7657298729ad5c3b185dc2f4aab0bb73;hb=6a18e4bc2d13d077c52cf90a4c6ec68343808ba7

In particular execute_sql_string line 684. I do not understand C well
enough to figure out if the above is actually creating separate sessions
or not. Maybe you understand it or someone else can chime in.

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com