Re: Benchmark

От Mitch Pirtle
Тема Re: Benchmark
Дата
Re: Benchmark
Re: Benchmark (slightly off topic but oh well)
Список pgsql-performance
On Thu, 10 Feb 2005 08:21:09 -0500, Jeff <threshar@torgo.978.org> wrote:

> If you plan on making your results public be very careful with the
> license agreements on the other db's.  I know Oracle forbids the
> release of benchmark numbers without their approval.

...as all of the other commercial databases do. This may be off-topic,
but has anyone actually suffered any consequences of a published
benchmark without permission?

For example, I am a developer of Mambo, a PHP-based CMS application,
and am porting the mysql functions to ADOdb so I can use grown-up
databases ;-)

What is keeping me from running a copy of Mambo on a donated server
for testing and performance measures (including the commercial
databases) and then publishing the results based on Mambo's
performance on each?

It would be really useful to know if anyone has ever been punished for
doing this, as IANAL but that restriction is going to be very, VERY
difficult to back up in court without precedence. Is this just a
deterrent, or is it real?

-- Mitch