Re: Doc creation failed (v10.5 & 11)

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: Doc creation failed (v10.5 & 11)
Дата
Список pgsql-docs
GPT <gptmailinglists@gmail.com> writes:
> I have followed the following steps but I have failed to create the
> doc for PG11.

> cd .../postgresql-11
> ./configure
> cd ../postgresql-11/doc/src/sgml

The above seems a bit confused.  Are you trying to do a VPATH build?
If so, you need to run configure in the build tree, not the source tree.
That is, I'd have expected something more like

    cd ...buildtree...
    ../sourcetree/configure
    cd doc/src/sgml

> make check

You probably want "make" or "make all"; "make check" won't actually
build anything.  However, that's not related to this problem:

> I get the following error:
> make: *** No rule to make target '/configure', needed by 'version.sgml'.  Stop.

Looking at the makefile, it's clear that $(top_srcdir) is expanding
to empty.  I'm not quite seeing how Makefile.global would end up
doing that, but perhaps it's confused about vpath vs regular build.
Another theory is that configure went wrong somehow and inserted
bogus values into Makefile.global; was there any sign of distress
while running configure?