Insert a default timestamp when nothing given

От Martin Pohl
Тема Insert a default timestamp when nothing given
Дата
Re: Insert a default timestamp when nothing given  ("A. Kretschmer" <andreas.kretschmer@schollglas.com>)
Список pgsql-general
Hi,

I have to port an application from MS SQL7 to Postgresql (7.4).

When I have a column with a datetime on MS SQL7 the following is possible:
INSERT INTO mytable (mydate) values ('');

In this case MSSQL will insert '01.01.1900' as the date.

When I do the same on Postgresql it says:
"invalid input syntax for type timestamp with time zone: ''".

Unfortunately the application I have to port often uses '' as a date.

My question:
Is there any way to have MSSQLs behavior in PostgreSQL?

Thanks for answers