Re: displaying UTC time in local time

От mark_postgres_user
Тема Re: displaying UTC time in local time
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
Thanks, Scott, for your reply below.  It helped clear up a lot of questions I had about timezone usage.  Very helpful.

Mark

From: Scott Ribe-2 [via PostgreSQL] [ml-node+[hidden email]]
Sent: Tuesday, October 29, 2013 11:53 PM
To: Mark Ikemoto
Subject: Re: displaying UTC time in local time

On Oct 29, 2013, at 8:05 AM, mark_postgres_user <[hidden email]> wrote:

> So, because my timestamps are defined as timestamp without
> timezone data type and are stored in UTC...

No, they're not stored as *any* time zone at all, not even UTC. They are timestamp *without* time zone.

> I can use AT TIME ZONE to convert
> the displayed time to any timezone including my local timezone.

No, you can use AT TIME ZONE to convert them to a timestamp with time zone and simultaneously specify the time zone they are relative to, in other words the time zone to which they were adjusted before being stored.

> P.S. Someone else owns the database I'm using so I can't change the
> timestamps to be timestamp with timezone.

OK, you're stuck with an incorrect data type. That's why it's not intuitive to work with. Because it's timestamp without time zone, you have to do the work that PG would do for you if the correct type were used--you have to make sure the timestamps are all adjusted to the same time zone before being stored, and you have to convert them to local time after retrieval.

--
Scott Ribe
[hidden email]

http://postgresql.1045698.n5.nabble.com/displaying-UTC-time-in-local-time-tp5776169p5776339.html
To unsubscribe from displaying UTC time in local time, click here.
NAML

This email and any attachments thereto may contain private, confidential, and/or privileged material for the sole use of the intended recipient. Any review, copying, or distribution of this email (or any attachments thereto) by others is strictly prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender immediately and permanently delete the original and any copies of this email and any attachments thereto.