Re: prokind column (was Re: [HACKERS] SQL procedures)

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: prokind column (was Re: [HACKERS] SQL procedures)
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Catalin Iacob <iacobcatalin@gmail.com> writes:
> On Tue, Feb 27, 2018 at 4:03 AM, Michael Paquier <michael@paquier.xyz> wrote:
>> I would just recommend users to use a version of psql matching
>> the one of the server instead of putting an extra load of maintenance
>> into psql for years to come

> Breaking tab completion in new psql against old servers might be
> acceptable as it's a fringe feature, but I don't think your
> recommendation of matching versions is practical. Lots of people
> manage multiple server versions and using the latest psql for all of
> them is currently, as far as I know, a perfectly supported way of
> doing that, getting new psql features and keeping compatibility. I
> think it would be a pity to loose that.

We support the various psql/describe.c features against old servers,
so it would be quite inconsistent for tab completion not to work
similarly.  There are some gaps in that already, as per the other
thread, but we should clean those up not add more.