Re: Tracing down buildfarm "postmaster does not shut down" failures

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: Tracing down buildfarm "postmaster does not shut down" failures
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
> Tom Lane wrote:
>> What I'd like to do to investigate this is put in a temporary HEAD-only
>> patch that makes ShutdownXLOG() and its subroutines much chattier about
>> how far they've gotten and what time it is, and also makes pg_ctl print
>> out the current time if it gives up waiting.

> Seems like a reasonable place to start.  I assume you'll be installing
> some debug-elog calls, enabled by default, and then once the problem is
> fixed, we'll change the default to disabled but keep the actual calls?

I had in mind to just "git revert" the patch when we're done with it.
There might be some parts we want to keep (for instance, I'm thinking of
logging "postmaster is done" after we've unlinked the pidfile, which might
be useful permanently).  But I plan to err on the side of noisiness for
the moment, rather than make something I think has long-term value.