Re: 8.0, UTF8, and CLIENT_ENCODING

От Michael Glaesemann
Тема Re: 8.0, UTF8, and CLIENT_ENCODING
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On May 17, 2007, at 16:47 , PFC wrote:

>> and put that in the form. Instead of being mapped to 2-byte UTF8
>> high-bit equivalents, they are going into the database directly as
>> one-byte values > 127. That is, as illegal UTF8 values.
>
>     Sometimes you also get HTML entities in the mix. Who knows.
>     All my web forms are UTF-8 back to back, it just works. Was I lucky ?
>     Normally postgres rejects illegal UTF8 values, you wouldn't be
> able to insert them...

8.0 and earlier weren't quite as strict as it should have been. See
the note at the end of the migration instuctions in the release notes
for 8.1[1] That may have been part of the issue here.

Michael Glaesemann
grzm seespotcode net

[1](http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.2/interactive/
release-8-1.html#AEN80196)