Re: xlc 12.1 miscompiles 32-bit ginCompareItemPointers()

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: xlc 12.1 miscompiles 32-bit ginCompareItemPointers()
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
> On July 19, 2015 9:50:33 PM GMT+02:00, Noah Misch <noah@leadboat.com> wrote:
>> I propose to expand the gin_private.h "#ifdef PG_USE_INLINE" test to
>> exclude xlc 32-bit configurations.  The last 32-bit AIX kernel exited
>> support on 2012-04-30.

> I vote to simply error out in that case then. Trying to fix individual compiler bugs in an niche OS sounds like a bad
idea.

I think I'm with Andres --- are there really enough users of this
configuration to justify working around such a bug?

More: if the compiler does have a bug like that, how much confidence can
we have, really, that there are no other miscompiled places and won't be
any in the future?  If we are going to support this configuration, I think
what the patch ought to do is disable PG_USE_INLINE globally when this
compiler is detected.  That would revert the behavior to what it was
before 43d89a2.  We have absolutely no field experience justifying the
assumption that a narrower fix would be safe.