Re: [HACKERS] Making server name part of the startup message

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: [HACKERS] Making server name part of the startup message
Дата
Re: [HACKERS] Making server name part of the startup message  (Andres Freund <andres@anarazel.de>)
Список pgsql-hackers
Satyanarayana Narlapuram <Satyanarayana.Narlapuram@microsoft.com> writes:
> As a cloud service, Azure Database for PostgreSQL uses a gateway proxy to route connections to a node hosting the
actualserver. To do that, the proxy needs to know the name of the server it tries to locate. As a work-around we
currentlyoverload the username parameter to pass in the server name using username@servername convention. It is purely
aconvention that our customers need to follow and understand. We would like to extend the PgSQL connection protocol to
addan optional parameter for the server name to help with this scenario.

We don't actually have any concept of a server name at the moment,
and it isn't very clear what introducing that concept would buy.
Please explain.

> Proposed changes:
> Change the Postgres wire protocol to include server name in the startup message. This field can be an optional field
drivenby the connection parameters for psql (-N, --servername).
> We need this extra parameter for backward compatibility.
> Make PostgreSQL server aware of the new field, and accept the startup message containing this field. Though server
doesn'tneed this field, this change helps making the server name by default included in the startup message in future.

This makes no sense at all.  The client is telling the server what the
server's name is?

You're going to need a very substantially more well-reasoned proposal
to have any chance of getting us to make a protocol-level change.

От: Stephen Frost
Сообщение: Re: [HACKERS] Adding connection id in the startup message
От: Peter Eisentraut
Сообщение: Re: [HACKERS] Making server name part of the startup message