Re: [HACKERS] Making server name part of the startup message

От Andres Freund
Тема Re: [HACKERS] Making server name part of the startup message
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On 2017-06-15 09:43:13 -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
> Satyanarayana Narlapuram <Satyanarayana.Narlapuram@microsoft.com> writes:
> > As a cloud service, Azure Database for PostgreSQL uses a gateway proxy to route connections to a node hosting the
actualserver. To do that, the proxy needs to know the name of the server it tries to locate. As a work-around we
currentlyoverload the username parameter to pass in the server name using username@servername convention. It is purely
aconvention that our customers need to follow and understand. We would like to extend the PgSQL connection protocol to
addan optional parameter for the server name to help with this scenario.

> We don't actually have any concept of a server name at the moment,
> and it isn't very clear what introducing that concept would buy.
> Please explain.

cluster_name could be what's meant?

- Andres