Re: More on elog and error codes

От Philip Warner
Тема Re: More on elog and error codes
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
At 03:28 21/03/01 +0000, Thomas Lockhart wrote:
>> Creating central message files/objects has the added advantage of a much
>> simpler locale support - they're just resource files, and they're NOT
>> embedded throughout the code.
>> Finally, if you do want to have some kind of error classification beyond
>> the SQL code, it could be encoded in the error message file.
>
>We could also (automatically) build a DBMS reference table *from* this
>message file (or files), which would allow lookup of messages from codes
>for applications which are not "message-aware".
>
>Not a requirement, and it does not meet all needs (e.g. you would have
>to be connected to get the messages in that case) but it would be
>helpful for some use cases...

If we extended the message definitions to have (optional) description &
user-resolution sections, then we have the possibilty of asking psql to
explain the last error, and (broadly) how to fix it. Of course, in the
first pass, these would all be empty.

PGP key available upon request,  |  /
and from pgp5.ai.mit.edu:11371   |/