Re: [HACKERS] A notice for too long names

От Don Baccus
Тема Re: [HACKERS] A notice for too long names
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
At 10:54 PM 1/20/00 +0100, Peter Eisentraut wrote:

>> > Would it be better to throw an elog(ERROR)?
>>
>> Definitely NOT.  Rejecting long identifiers went out with Dartmouth Basic.
>
>But it came back with compilers issuing warnings (hence notice) about
>them. Silently truncating input went out with GNU,

GNU C was hardly the first compiler to correctly handle identifiers
of virtually any length.  I doubt if it even makes the list of the first
100...

(I get tired of GNU-worship)

How deeply embedded is the limitation on identifier length?  Ideal
would be to remove any artificial limitation whatsoever.

The current situation isn't bad, since name clashes are rare - it's
not as though PostgreSQL is only keeping the first six characters
like Fortran 66!  Still, all such limitations are fundamentally
irksome.