Re: [HACKERS] A notice for too long names

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: [HACKERS] A notice for too long names
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
>> Wouldn't it be fair if a notice was generated if you attempt to create
>> and/or reference a name that's longer than NAMEDATALEN.

> Would it be better to throw an elog(ERROR)?

Definitely NOT.  Rejecting long identifiers went out with Dartmouth Basic.

The only reason to worry at all is if someone uses two identifiers that
are the same for the first NAMEDATALEN characters --- but if so, he'll
get an error about duplicate column or duplicate table name.  I see no
real reason to change the current behavior...