Re: [HACKERS] Anyone for prettyprinted EXPLAIN VERBOSE?

От Don Baccus
Тема Re: [HACKERS] Anyone for prettyprinted EXPLAIN VERBOSE?
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
At 02:47 AM 12/18/99 +0100, Jan Wieck wrote:

>    Since Tom is asking, I assume at least he's the one who does.
>    But then again, he must be able to  see  his  target  station
>    expressed  in some Expr-, Oper- and Func- nodes while pushing
>    the buttons to get an underground-ticket. So  who  else  does
>    like  the  pretty  printed  version better for non-esthetical
>    reasons?

Well, it's a lot more readable for newcomers who are interested in
learning how their queries are being turned into plans.  Such newcomers
might become helpful people as time goes on and as they have time in
their life to become contributors...

It probably wouldn't be that hard to add a "jan" command that would
do a non-pretty-printed explain verbose for those who want it, would
it?

As far as X limitations on storing lines, for debugging clearly you
want to be able to dump stuff into files regardless of pretty or
"ugly" formatting...it wouldn't be difficult to modify psql to dump
explanations into a file directly, would it?

Dumping thousands of lines of either ugly or pretty plan dumps onto
a terminal is ... well ... terminal.  You shouldn't have to do that.