Re: [HACKERS] libpq questions...when threads collide

От Don Baccus
Тема Re: [HACKERS] libpq questions...when threads collide
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
At 05:41 PM 12/12/99 -0500, Tom Lane wrote:
>Don Baccus <dhogaza@pacifier.com> writes:
>> Despite the thread unsafeness
>> of PQsetdb et al, I've never seen a failure in this environment
>> and I've never heard of folks experiencing such a failure.
>
>The *only* thing that's actually thread-unsafe, AFAIR, is
>PQconnectdb's use of a global array for connection parameters.
>PQsetdb/setdbLogin are thread-safe; so just use them instead.

Cool!  I am using setdbLogin but the documentation sez they,
too, aren't threadsafe...maybe this should be changed?  This
is great news.

>At least that was true before the async-connection code got added.
>I haven't looked at that to see if it introduces any problems.

For the moment, I'm happy to believe that it hasn't, it makes my
immediate future much simpler if I do so...

Also, the documentation describes two routines, PQoidStatus and
PQoidValue, but the libpq source seem to only define PQoidStatus.

(some user asked for a routine to feed back the oid of an insert,
so I looked into it while simultaneously suggesting he study
"sequence" and its associated "nextval" and "currval" functions
and ponder on why it's really a bad idea to related tables by
storing oids rather than generated keys)