Re: DELETE performance problem

От Grzegorz Jaśkiewicz
Тема Re: DELETE performance problem
Дата
Список pgsql-performance

On Tue, Nov 24, 2009 at 3:19 PM, Thom Brown <thombrown@gmail.com> wrote:
2009/11/24 Luca Tettamanti <kronos.it@gmail.com>

On Tue, Nov 24, 2009 at 3:59 PM, Jerry Champlin
<jchamplin@absolute-performance.com> wrote:
> You may want to consider using partitioning.  That way you can drop the
> appropriate partition and never have the overhead of a delete.

Hum, I don't think it's doable in my case; the partitioning is not
know a priori. First t1 is fully populated, then the data is loaded
and manipulated by my application, the result is stored in t2; only
then I want to remove (part of) the data from t1.

thanks,
Luca

It's a shame there isn't a LIMIT option on DELETE so this can be done in small batches.

you sort of can do it, using PK on table as pointer. DELETE FROM foo USING ... etc.
with subquery in using that will limit number of rows ;)

Thom

--
GJ