Re: [GENERAL] PostgreSQL upgrade best practices, please share yourthoughts

От Adrian Klaver
Тема Re: [GENERAL] PostgreSQL upgrade best practices, please share yourthoughts
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On 04/27/2017 08:41 AM, Daniel Westermann wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> currently I am preparing my session (PostgreSQL upgrade best practices)
> for the Swiss PGDay 2017 (http://www.pgday.ch/2017/). What I plan to
> come up with is:
>
> - Support policy
> - Release notes
> - Why it is important to upgrade (or at least to patch to the latest
> minor release)
> - Minor version upgrades vs major version upgrades
> - The importance of version specific directories
> - What to take care of with tablespaces
> - What to take care of with extensions
> - Pain points with (missing) statistics after the upgrade
> - Upgrades using pg_dump
> - Upgrades using pg_dumpall for global objects and then pg_dump in parallel
> - pg_upgrade (check mode, normal mode vs. link mode, upgrading with
> streaming replication configurations)
> - Getting support (mailing lists)
> - PostgreSQL 10: Logical replication
>
> What I would like to ask you:
> What would you add to the above list?

That is an ambitious agenda and I sincerely wish you the best on pulling
it together.

Not sure if these are already covered as sub-points

- Minor version upgrades vs major version upgrades
Make clear that the version numbering that distinguishes this is
changing with version 10.

- Getting support (mailing lists)
Differentiate between the community version vs versions with proprietary
extension.

A new point.

Postgres source
The importance of verifying where the different instances of Postgres
came from. It is not uncommon to see cross contamination issues because
someone went from using a self compiled version to one from a package or
pulled from different repos.

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com