Обсуждение: [GENERAL] PostgreSQL upgrade best practices, please share your thoughts

[GENERAL] PostgreSQL upgrade best practices, please share your thoughts

От
Daniel Westermann
Дата:
Hi all,

currently I am preparing my session (PostgreSQL upgrade best practices) for the Swiss PGDay 2017 (http://www.pgday.ch/2017/). What I plan to come up with is:

- Support policy
- Release notes
- Why it is important to upgrade (or at least to patch to the latest minor release)
- Minor version upgrades vs major version upgrades
- The importance of version specific directories
- What to take care of with tablespaces
- What to take care of with extensions
- Pain points with (missing) statistics after the upgrade
- Upgrades using pg_dump
- Upgrades using pg_dumpall for global objects and then pg_dump in parallel
- pg_upgrade (check mode, normal mode vs. link mode, upgrading with streaming replication configurations)
- Getting support (mailing lists)
- PostgreSQL 10: Logical replication

What I would like to ask you:
What would you add to the above list?
Can you please share what issues you had when upgrading and maybe how you solved it? I'd love to include as much information as possible.

Thanks in advance
Daniel

Re: [GENERAL] PostgreSQL upgrade best practices, please share yourthoughts

От
Adrian Klaver
Дата:
On 04/27/2017 08:41 AM, Daniel Westermann wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> currently I am preparing my session (PostgreSQL upgrade best practices)
> for the Swiss PGDay 2017 (http://www.pgday.ch/2017/). What I plan to
> come up with is:
>
> - Support policy
> - Release notes
> - Why it is important to upgrade (or at least to patch to the latest
> minor release)
> - Minor version upgrades vs major version upgrades
> - The importance of version specific directories
> - What to take care of with tablespaces
> - What to take care of with extensions
> - Pain points with (missing) statistics after the upgrade
> - Upgrades using pg_dump
> - Upgrades using pg_dumpall for global objects and then pg_dump in parallel
> - pg_upgrade (check mode, normal mode vs. link mode, upgrading with
> streaming replication configurations)
> - Getting support (mailing lists)
> - PostgreSQL 10: Logical replication
>
> What I would like to ask you:
> What would you add to the above list?

That is an ambitious agenda and I sincerely wish you the best on pulling
it together.

Not sure if these are already covered as sub-points

- Minor version upgrades vs major version upgrades
Make clear that the version numbering that distinguishes this is
changing with version 10.

- Getting support (mailing lists)
Differentiate between the community version vs versions with proprietary
extension.

A new point.

Postgres source
The importance of verifying where the different instances of Postgres
came from. It is not uncommon to see cross contamination issues because
someone went from using a self compiled version to one from a package or
pulled from different repos.

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com