Re: [HACKERS] Checksums by default?

От Joshua D. Drake
Тема Re: [HACKERS] Checksums by default?
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On 01/21/2017 09:09 AM, Tom Lane wrote:
>> As for checksums, I do see value in them and I'm pretty sure that the
>> author of that particular feature did as well, or we wouldn't even have
>> it as an option.  You seem to be of the opinion that we might as well
>> just rip all of that code and work out as being useless.
>
> Not at all; I just think that it's not clear that they are a net win
> for the average user,

Tom is correct here. They are not a net win for the average user. We
tend to forget that although we collectively have a lot of enterprise
installs where this does matter, we collectively do not equal near the
level of average user installs.
From an advocacy perspective, the average user install is the one that
we tend most because that tending (in theory) will grow something that
is more fruitful e.g; the enterprise install over time because we
constantly and consistently provided a reasonable and expected
experience to the average user.

Sincerely,

JD

--
Command Prompt, Inc.                  http://the.postgres.company/                        +1-503-667-4564
Unless otherwise stated, opinions are my own.