Re: using explicit_bzero

От Peter Eisentraut
Тема Re: using explicit_bzero
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On 2019-07-30 07:08, Michael Paquier wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 29, 2019 at 11:30:53AM +0200, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
>> Another patch, with various fallback implementations.
>
> I have spotted some issues with this patch:
> 1) The list of port files @pgportfiles in Mkvcbuild.pm has not been
> updated with the new file explicit_bzero.c, so the compilation would
> fail with MSVC.
> 2) pg_config.h.win32 does not include the two new flags (same as
> https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/20190624050850.GE1637@paquier.xyz)

Another patch, to attempt to fix the Windows build.

> 3) What about CreateRole() and AlterRole() which can manipulate a
> password in plain format before hashing?  (same message as previous
> point).

If you want to secure CREATE ROLE foo PASSWORD 'plaintext' then you need
to also analyze memory usage in protocol processing and parsing and the
like.  This would be a laborious and difficult to verify undertaking.
It's better to say, if you want to be secure, don't do that.

Вложения