Re: [hypothetical product] support of PostgreSQL

От Jonathan S. Katz
Тема Re: [hypothetical product] support of PostgreSQL
Дата
Список pgsql-www
On Jul 29, 2013, at 12:40 PM, alvherre@2ndquadrant.com wrote:

People,

We just got a post to pgsql-announce like this:

[SnakeOil] is planning to add support of PostgreSQL to the [SnakeOil] Engine
product, and could use the help and expertise of people within the Postgres
community to ensure that we are building a product that works well for
Postgres environments.

Customers use [SnakeOil] to eliminate obstacles for agile development and to
move apps/DBs into their private cloud infrastructure (including Unix to
Linux conversions). We are currently also used for critical enterprise
applications like SAP and Oracle EBS, for datacenter consolidation, and to
improve SLAs for database data protection. While agility and productivity
benefits outweigh cost savings, our software will often pay for itself in
storage, backup, and operating cost savings.

Here's a link, if you'd like to see how Facebook reduced its financial
close from 21 to 2 days with [SnakeOil]:
http://www.example.com/resources/.

Please let me know if you're interested in hearing more about the product,
providing input, and/or being a Beta tester oft he product.

Of course, it isn't exactly snake oil that they're selling.  But the
post was rejected (rightfully, ISTM) by a pgsql-announce moderator, and
the person posting it just wrote to the pgsql-announce owner to ask
about this rejection:

Can you please give me some info about why my post was rejected? I'm
not sure if I need to re-formulate it or if the subject is
inappropriate.

What do we want to tell them?

The description does not fit any of what we allow for proprietary projects - it seems like a "call for developers to assist us in our project" as opposed to announcing any types of news or releases.  Announce is used for PG / PG OSS family software updates, PG-related proprietary product *releases* (in a limited quantity), and PG conferences.

Jonathan

В списке pgsql-www по дате отправления: