Re: client_min_messages not suppressing messages in psql nor pgAdminIII

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: client_min_messages not suppressing messages in psql nor pgAdminIII
Дата
Список pgsql-general
> Why not use NOTICE?  INFO is supposed to be used for things the user
> *requested* to see (for example, by supplying the "verbose" option to one
> of the commands which take that option).

> The documentation could be clearer on this, but it seems to suggest that
> there is no way to turn off INFO to the client.

Yeah.  Per elog.h:

#define INFO        17          /* Messages specifically requested by user (eg
                                 * VACUUM VERBOSE output); always sent to
                                 * client regardless of client_min_messages,
                                 * but by default not sent to server log. */

You should not be using level INFO unless you are responding to an
explicit client request to get the output.  If memory serves, we'd
not even have invented that level except that VACUUM VERBOSE existed
before we invented the elog levels, and we wanted to preserve its
always-print-the-results behavior.