Re: How long should it take to insert 200,000 records?

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: How long should it take to insert 200,000 records?
Дата
Re: How long should it take to insert 200,000 records?  ("Karen Hill" <karen_hill22@yahoo.com>)
Список pgsql-performance
"Karen Hill" <karen_hill22@yahoo.com> writes:
> I have a pl/pgsql function that is inserting 200,000 records for
> testing purposes.  What is the expected time frame for this operation
> on a pc with 1/2 a gig of ram and a 7200 RPM disk?

I think you have omitted a bunch of relevant facts.  Bare INSERT is
reasonably quick:

regression=# create table foo (f1 int);
CREATE TABLE
regression=# \timing
Timing is on.
regression=# insert into foo select x from generate_series(1,200000) x;
INSERT 0 200000
Time: 5158.564 ms
regression=#

(this on a not-very-fast machine) but if you weigh it down with a ton
of index updates, foreign key checks, etc, it could get slow ...
also you haven't mentioned what else that plpgsql function is doing.