Re: pg_relation_size / could not open relation with OID #

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: pg_relation_size / could not open relation with OID #
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Greg Smith <greg@2ndquadrant.com> writes:
> Yeah, you're right that is the proper way to handle this.  As the
> problem isn't that serious once you're aware of it, I don't see a large
> amount of motivation to work on that now though, if that's what it will
> take to fix.  And Tomas seemed satisfied with a workaround too.  I just
> added a TODO item pointing to your suggested implementation so it's more
> likely people will stumble onto the relevant trivia here on their own,
> and maybe some day a patch will get written to implement that idea too.

Well, if we're leaving TODO crumbs, what I had in mind was:

1. Use try_relation_open() not relation_open() to start with.

2. On failure return, do something like

    if (relation_recently_dead(relid))
        ... return NULL ...
    else
        ... throw error ...

relation_recently_dead() would probably be a few dozen lines of code,
but it could be shared among all places where we want to do something
like this.