Re: subscriptionCheck failures on nightjar

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: subscriptionCheck failures on nightjar
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
> On 2019-02-13 11:57:32 -0500, Tom Lane wrote:
>> I've managed to reproduce this locally, and obtained this PANIC:

> Cool. How exactly?

Andrew told me that nightjar is actually running in a qemu VM,
so I set up freebsd 9.0 in a qemu VM, and boom.  It took a bit
of fiddling with qemu parameters, but for such a timing-sensitive
problem, that's not surprising.

>> Anyway, I think we might be able to fix this along the lines of
>> [ fsync the data before renaming not after ]

> Hm, but that's not the same? On some filesystems one needs the directory
> fsync, on some the file fsync, and I think both in some cases.

Now that I look at it, there's a pg_fsync() just above this, so
I wonder why we need a second fsync on the file at all.  fsync'ing
the directory is needed to ensure the directory entry is on disk;
but the file data should be out already, or else the kernel is
simply failing to honor fsync.

>> The existing code here seems simply wacky/unsafe to me regardless
>> of this race condition: couldn't it potentially result in a corrupt
>> snapshot file appearing with a valid name, if the system crashes
>> after persisting the rename but before it's pushed the data out?

> What do you mean precisely with "before it's pushed the data out"?

Given the previous pg_fsync, this isn't an issue.

>> I also wonder why bother with the directory sync just before the
>> rename.

> Because on some FS/OS combinations the size of the renamed-into-place
> file isn't guaranteed to be durable unless the directory was
> fsynced.

Bleah.  But in any case, the rename should not create a situation
in which we need to fsync the file data again.