Re: subscriptionCheck failures on nightjar

От Andres Freund
Тема Re: subscriptionCheck failures on nightjar
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Hi,

On 2019-02-13 12:37:35 -0500, Tom Lane wrote:
> > On 2019-02-13 11:57:32 -0500, Tom Lane wrote:
> >> I've managed to reproduce this locally, and obtained this PANIC:
>
> > Cool. How exactly?
>
> Andrew told me that nightjar is actually running in a qemu VM,
> so I set up freebsd 9.0 in a qemu VM, and boom.  It took a bit
> of fiddling with qemu parameters, but for such a timing-sensitive
> problem, that's not surprising.

Ah.

> >> I also wonder why bother with the directory sync just before the
> >> rename.
>
> > Because on some FS/OS combinations the size of the renamed-into-place
> > file isn't guaranteed to be durable unless the directory was
> > fsynced.
>
> Bleah.  But in any case, the rename should not create a situation
> in which we need to fsync the file data again.

Well, it's not super well defined which of either you need to make the
rename durable, and it appears to differ between OSs. Any argument
against fixing it up like I suggested, by using an fd from before the
rename?

Greetings,

Andres Freund

Сообщение: Re: reducing isolation tests runtime
Сообщение: Re: reducing isolation tests runtime