Re: Deriving release notes from git commit messages

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: Deriving release notes from git commit messages
Дата
Re: Deriving release notes from git commit messages
Список pgsql-hackers
> On Sat, Jul 02, 2011 at 03:45:03PM -0400, Robert Haas wrote:
>>> There are git notes which you can attach to a commit after the fact... I like
>>> the fact that they would keep the information in the repository (where they
>>> seem to belong).

>> Yeah, but I think it's still basically append-only, which is kind of a
>> nuisance, and it means they can only be updated by committers, which
>> is not particularly helpful from my point of view.

> The documentation says:
> "This command allows you to add/remove notes to/from objects, without
> changing the objects themselves."

> So it doesn't appear append only. I think the idea is that every object
> can have one note. How that works with versioning I have no idea.

A look at the git-notes man page says that you can only have one note
per commit, but you can edit that note, and git does track the revision
history of each note.

I think that we should adopt "git notes" as a better solution than
making dummy whitespace changes when we want to put a commit-message
correction into the commit history (you listening, Bruce?).

But as Robert says, this still leaves the committers as the gatekeepers
for the information, so it's not clear to me that this is a good way to
solve the problems that Greg was talking about originally.  I'd rather
have a solution that offloads the work from the committers.

Сообщение: Re: plpgsql extension install nitpick
Сообщение: Re: plpgsql extension install nitpick