Re: [v9.5] Custom Plan API

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: [v9.5] Custom Plan API
Дата
Re: [v9.5] Custom Plan API
Список pgsql-hackers
> On 8 May 2014 20:40, Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com> wrote:
>> For my money, we'd be better off
>> getting some kind of basic custom scan node functionality committed
>> first, even if the cases where you can actually inject them into real
>> plans are highly restricted.  Then, we could later work on adding more
>> ways to inject them in more places.

> We're past the prototyping stage and into productionising what we know
> works, AFAIK. If that point is not clear, then we need to discuss that
> first.

OK, I'll bite: what here do we know works?  Not a damn thing AFAICS;
it's all speculation that certain hooks might be useful, and speculation
that's not supported by a lot of evidence.  If you think this isn't
prototyping, I wonder what you think *is* prototyping.

It seems likely to me that our existing development process is not
terribly well suited to developing a good solution in this area.
We need to be able to try some things and throw away what doesn't
work; but the project's mindset is not conducive to throwing features
away once they've appeared in a shipped release.  And the other side
of the coin is that trying these things is not inexpensive: you have
to write some pretty serious code before you have much of a feel for
whether a planner hook API is actually any good.  So by the time
you've built something of the complexity of, say, contrib/postgres_fdw,
you don't really want to throw that away in the next major release.
And that's at the bottom end of the scale of the amount of work that'd
be needed to do anything with the sorts of interfaces we're discussing.

So I'm not real sure how we move forward.  Maybe something to brainstorm
about in Ottawa.