Re: pg_restore dumps all data to the terminal

От Ron
Тема Re: pg_restore dumps all data to the terminal
Дата
Список pgsql-admin

On 04/26/2018 10:15 PM, David G. Johnston wrote:
On Thursday, April 26, 2018, Ron <ronljohnsonjr@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi,

v9.6.8, restoring from 8.4.17

This command dumps not just the schema to the terminal (technically, nohup.out) but the actual data.  How do I stop that?  There's no --quiet, and that's not what I want anyway...

pg_restore -cC --if-exists -e -Fd -j4 ${SOURCE}/${DB}

"pg_restore can operate in two modes. If a database name is specified, pg_restore connects to that database and restores archive contents directly into the database. Otherwise, a script containing the SQL commands necessary to rebuild the database is created and written to a file or standard output."

You haven't specified a database so you get the second mode.

But the database doesn't exist.  If I have to explicitly create the DB beforehand, what's the purpose of the "--create" option?

But... looking more carefully at the examples, I see that one must attach to the postgres db when you want pg_restore to create the database.  (That should be made clear in the --create section of the manual.)

Thanks

Сообщение: Re: pg_restore dumps all data to the terminal
Сообщение: Re: pg_restore dumps all data to the terminal