Re: backing and restoring whole database server - how does this script look

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: backing and restoring whole database server - how does this script look
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
Peter Koczan <pjkoczan@gmail.com> writes:
> On Fri, Apr 10, 2009 at 4:34 AM, Kevin Bailey
> <kbailey@freewayprojects.com> wrote:
>> Just to make thigs more interesting, we have to do this for a version 8.1
>> server and an older 7.4 server which has blobs in it.

> If I remember correctly, pg_dumpall only allows text format dumps, and
> blobs need to be dumped in non-text formats. This might have changed
> since 7.4, but I couldn't find any source either way.

The 8.1 release notes quoth:

    Allow pg_dump to dump large objects even in text mode (Tom)

    With this change, large objects are now always dumped; the former -b switch is a no-op.

so in that version and up you can use pg_dumpall without worrying about
blobs.  The upthread proposal of separately dumping each database in
-Fc mode is probably the only solution in 7.4, but you ought to be
thinking about how to get off 7.4 not how to perpetuate it.  We'll be
dropping support for 7.4 RSN.