Re: Should rename "startup process" to something else?

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: Should rename "startup process" to something else?
Дата
Re: Should rename "startup process" to something else?  (Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com>)
Список pgsql-hackers
> On Thu, Nov 18, 2021 at 11:05 AM Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>> Yeah, given current usage it would be better to call it the "recovery
>> process".  However, I'm feeling dubious that it's worth the cost to
>> change.  The "startup" name is embedded in a lot of places, I think,
>> and people are used to it.  I fear changing it would create more
>> confusion than it removes.

> What sorts of places are you thinking about?

Aside from our own code, I imagine a lot of people have monitoring
scripts that know about it.

> As far as being used to it, I think hackers are, but regular users are
> very much not.

Being hackers ourselves, I'm not sure we're qualified to opine on
that.  I cannot say that I've noticed any questions about it on
the mailing lists, though.

Personally I think making a glossary entry that explains what the
process does would be a better plan than renaming it.