Re: Synchronous LISTEN/NOTIFY?

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: Synchronous LISTEN/NOTIFY?
Дата
DBD::Pg and NOTIFY (was Re: Synchronous LISTEN/NOTIFY?)
Список pgsql-general
Lincoln Yeoh <lyeoh@pop.jaring.my> writes:
> Uhoh, since I'm using perl does that mean I have to patch DBI and Pg::DBD?

Couldn't say.  I didn't have much trouble setting up a Tcl application
to work smoothly with NOTIFY events, but I've never tried such a thing
in Perl.  Any Perl gurus out there who can pontificate about how to
set up an event loop in Perl?

> Would it be viable idea to add a WAIT command/statement for higher level
> access (e.g. "SQL" level access to this feature)?

Strikes me as pretty useless.  If you were to PQexec("WAIT foo") then
your application would be totally locked up until and unless a foo
signal gets delivered.  You won't be satisfied with that for long.