Re: Proposal of tunable fix for scalability of 8.4

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: Proposal of tunable fix for scalability of 8.4
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
> I'm wondering about the testing methodology.

Me too.  This test case seems much too far away from real world use
to justify diddling low-level locking behavior; especially a change
that is obviously likely to have very negative effects in other
scenarios.  In particular, I think it would lead to complete starvation
of would-be exclusive lockers in the face of competition from a steady
stream of shared lockers.  AFAIR the existing behavior was designed
to reduce the odds of that, not for any other purpose.