Re: Update minimum SSL version

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: Update minimum SSL version
Дата
Re: Update minimum SSL version  (Michael Paquier <michael@paquier.xyz>)
Список pgsql-hackers
Daniel Gustafsson <daniel@yesql.se> writes:
> On 30 Nov 2019, at 03:43, Michael Paquier <michael@paquier.xyz> wrote:
>> The buildfarm logs don't directly report the version of OpenSSL used
>> as far as I recalled, and a quick lookup shows that..

> Not explicitly, but it would be a nice if it did.  Since the version depends on
> the optional FIPS module, running "openssl version" is really the safe option,
> which in itself is hard since the libraries pointed to with --with-libs aren't
> guaranteed to have an openssl command installed etc.  OpenSSL might also these
> days be LibreSSL (or potentially even BoringSSL perhaps if someone twists the
> arm of their installation enough).

Yeah, I do not think that would be a good solution --- it would give wrong
answers on three of my four buildfarm animals :-(, for precisely the
reason that they're using --with-libs to point to a non-system openssl
installation.

Is there a simple way to ask the library itself for version info?
It might be worth the cycles to have configure run a small test
program to extract and print that data (not on cross-compile
builds, of course).

> (the careful observer notes that the SSL_clear_options() check fails even
> though it should be in 1.0.2, and thats probably because SSL_clear_options is a
> macro until 1.1.0 where it becomes a function).

Hmm, is it worth the trouble to fix that?

> gaur however looks like it is running 0.9.8:

gaur and prairiedog are both building with 0.9.8x, as you can tell
from their --with-libs options.

> Randomly picking animals, and trying to target platforms where older versions
> could be expected, I didn't see any <= 0.9.7; a small number 0.9.8 and most at
> 1.0.2 or higher (with the 0.9.8 animals being: gaur, sungazer and prairiedog).

According to the commit log (see 593d4e47d), we require 0.9.8 or later
in v10 and up, so any older animals got upgraded or retired some time
ago.