Re: [BUGS] issue about information_schema REFERENTIAL_CONSTRAINTS

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: [BUGS] issue about information_schema REFERENTIAL_CONSTRAINTS
Дата
Список pgsql-docs
Fabien COELHO <coelho@cri.ensmp.fr> writes:
> This issue makes the "information_schema" pretty useless for being really
> use for serious work as the data can be ambiguous, so I still claim that
> for me this is a real "bug" rather than just a "feature", which is the
> status reached once a bug is documented:-)

> When constraint names are generated by postgresql, ISTM that the software
> is free to choose them so they could be chosen non ambiguous per schema.

We do that already.  See ChooseConstraintName and ChooseRelationName.

> When users choose colliding names, I agree that it would break existing
> schemas, but there could be an option to enforce uniqueness of the name
> per schema if desired.

What would be the point of that?  IIRC, your complaint about this was in
connection with wanting to write some information-schema-using code that
could be used by anybody.  Such code could hardly assume that the option
was set.

Basically, the only way to satisfy your request is to take freedom away
from our users, and we're unlikely to do that.