Re: Slow backups over VPN

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: Slow backups over VPN
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
Rob Richardson <RDRichardson@rad-con.com> writes:
> I have a tiny database that I need to take frequent backups of.  The database is on a test server in our office.
WhenI'm at the office, backups take only a few seconds.  But when I am working from home, connecting to the office
througha SonicWall VPN, backups take a few minutes.  Other data transfer operations, like file copies, are reasonably
fast. I've seen this behavior for databases using PostgreSQL8.4, 9.0 and 9.3.  Can you suggest any way that I might get
backupsto be reasonably fast?

Does your "tiny" database contain lots of small objects (functions,
perhaps)?

I'm just guessing here, but I wonder if you aren't getting killed by
round-trip latency.  pg_dump issues quite a lot of per-object queries,
so if there are lots of objects, high latency would pose a problem even
if the one-way throughput is reasonably fast.  It would be interesting
to find out the round trip time through your VPN as measured by, say,
ping.

If this theory is correct, there's probably no easy fix :-(.