Re: Composite Datums containing toasted fields are a bad idea(?)

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: Composite Datums containing toasted fields are a bad idea(?)
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Noah Misch <noah@leadboat.com> writes:
> On Mon, Apr 21, 2014 at 10:57:34AM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
>> I'm actually planning to set this patch on the shelf for a bit and go
>> investigate the other alternative, ie, not generating composite Datums
>> containing toast pointers in the first place.

> I maintain that the potential slowdown is too great to consider adopting that
> for the sake of a cleaner patch.  Your last message examined a 67% performance
> regression.  The strategy you're outlining now can slow a query by 1,000,000%.

[ shrug... ]  It could also speed up a query by similar factors.  I see
no good reason to suppose that it would be a net loss overall.  I agree
that it might change performance characteristics in a way that we'd
ideally not do in the back branches.  But the fact remains that we've
got a bad bug to fix, and absent a reasonably trustworthy functional fix,
arguing about performance characteristics is a waste of breath.  I can
make it arbitrarily fast if it's not required to give the right answer.