Re: Performance optimization of btree binary search

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: Performance optimization of btree binary search
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Peter Geoghegan <pg@heroku.com> writes:
> On Wed, Dec 4, 2013 at 1:59 PM, Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Yeah, I think if we can make something like this work, it would be
>> neat-o.  Getting this working for int4 would be a good win, as Peter
>> says, but getting it working for both int4 and int8 with the same code
>> would be a significantly better one.

> No arguments here. I think I didn't initially suggest it myself out of
> passing concern about the guarantees around how unused Datum bits are
> initialized in all relevant contexts, but having looked at it for a
> second I see that we are of course disciplined there.

Hm ... actually, the comment at lines 335ff of postgres.h points out that
a Datum returned from a version 0 user-defined function might contain
garbage in the high order bits.  We could fix that, probably, with some
cleanup code added to fmgr_oldstyle.  It'd waste a few cycles ... but if
there's anybody out there who still cares about the performance of such
functions, it's high time they fixed them to be v1, anyway.

Сообщение: Re: Performance optimization of btree binary search
Сообщение: Re: Performance optimization of btree binary search