Re: refactoring comment.c

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: refactoring comment.c
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
> On Mon, Aug 16, 2010 at 3:48 PM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>> I think the problem is you're trying to put this into backend/parser
>> which is not really the right place for it.

> If this isn't parse analysis, then you and I have very different ideas
> of what parse analysis is.

Maybe so, but the parser is expected to put out a representation that
will still be valid when the command is executed some time later.
That is exactly why utility statements have the barely-more-than-source
parsetree representation they do: because we do not hold locks on the
objects from parsing to execution, we could not expect an OID-level
representation to remain good.  This is a lot different from what we
do with DML statements, but there are good reasons for it.

I repeat my observation that this code doesn't belong in /parser.
The code you're replacing was not in /parser, and that was because
it didn't belong there, not because somebody didn't understand the
system structure.