Re: Multiple WALs for PITR ?

От
Тема Re: Multiple WALs for PITR ?
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
Michael Kleiser <mkl@webde-ag.de> wrote on 06.10.2004, 16:29:08:
> I wan`t to use Point in Time Recovery
> I allread read http://developer.postgresql.org/docs/postgres/backup-online.html#BACKUP-ARCHIVING-WAL

Good!

> But I still wonder, if it is possible for PostgreSQL 8.0 to write multiple, redundant WAL-Files
> like Oracles with its redo-log-groups ?

Not currently.

That was something I considered, though in the end lacked both
implementation time and justification for.

If you can explain why you think that might be necessary, I'd be happy
to consider it for v8.1.

RAID-10 seems a good solution for me...

> Is threre an equivalent to Oracles "ALTER SYSTEM SWITCH LOGFILE" ?

Not currently.

Again, if you can say why we might want that, it can also be added -
other than "they have it, so we want it too" :-)

This is a likely addition for 8.1, since we will most likely want to
archive xlog files every N minutes, whatever the transaction rate,
allowing people to specify a maximum period of data loss - but this
seemed like an enhancement rather than a definite feature for 8.0

> Thanks
> Michael Kleiser

Glad you're interested. Your questions show you understand - good luck.

Best Regards

Simon Riggs