Re: MacOS X 10.5.1 and compiling for multiple Architectures

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: MacOS X 10.5.1 and compiling for multiple Architectures
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
Chris Ruprecht <chris@ruprecht.org> writes:
> I am trying to build PG 8.3Beta4 for MacOS Leopard.
> It works fine when using the default i386 architecture. However, this
> is not an option as Apple, in their wisdom, have chosen to build
> Apache as a 64-bit application and their PHP 5.2.4 module without PG
> support as a Intel 32, Intel 64, PPC 32 and PPC 64 type module. For
> those that don't know: Under MacOS, it is possible to build
> executables that will run native on multiple architectures, all
> contained in a single file - kind of weird, and pretty bloated.

You're not going to have a lot of luck building PG for those four
architectures from a single build run --- you really need a different
pg_config.h for each case.  The specific failure you're seeing seems
to stem from SIZEOF_DATUM not agreeing with sizeof(Datum), but you
can bet your bottom dollar that that's just the tip of the iceberg.

I'd be somewhat interested to see a build approach that supports this,
but I don't want to spend any of my own time on it.  I have a vague
suspicion that Apple probably built PHP four separate times and then
melded the executables after the fact.