Re: big tables with lots-o-rows

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: big tables with lots-o-rows
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
Sam Barnett-Cormack <s.barnett-cormack@lancaster.ac.uk> writes:
> On Tue, 1 Jul 2003, Michiel Lange wrote:
>> _Could_ it be that you're hitting a filesystem limit here? I am not 100%
>> certain, but I believe ext2 by default supports only files of 2.? GB at
>> most... Yet I am not certain if this is really what's wrong, but I would
>> look in that direction.

> IT's a kernel-level limit, for single files. A kernel recompile with
> large file support will eliminate that, if it is the problem.

None of that has the slightest relevance to Postgres, however, since we
always split large tables into gigabyte-sized segment files.  (The only
reason there's a largefile compilation option is so you can work with
greater-than-2GB dump scripts in pg_dump and pg_restore; the backend
does not need it.)

My guess is that the OP ran into an actual out-of-space situation,
or possibly a disk quota or ulimit limitation that was reported as
out-of-space.