Re: More grist for the PostgreSQL vs MySQL mill

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: More grist for the PostgreSQL vs MySQL mill
Дата
Список pgsql-general
> Shashank wrote:
>>> It seems MySQL just dropped the ball on
>>> the free version of their product, and it
>>
>> Not sure what you mean. I can download their latest versions without
>> any trouble.

> In contrast to the MySQL Enterprise Server, which receives both monthly
> rapid updates and quarterly service pack releases, there is no specific
> schedule for when a new version of the MySQL Community Server is
> released.

Not only that, but mysql has repeatedly issued community updates that
were actively *broken* --- something like four of the last seven minor
5.0.x updates were not pushed out by Red Hat because they broke ABI
compatibility with the prior version of libmysqlclient.  I get the
strong impression that those guys are in over their heads in terms of
their ability to manage their software, or at least their ability to
manage two separate release streams.